- Mixing TerraShield & Lemongrass with fractionated coconut oil in a 30mL spray bottle as a travel bug repellent because like who wants to be bit up all summer long? NOT ME! (You could also use witch hazel in place of FCO)
- The HD Clear Kit has been my best friend through a slight hormonal breakout that just wouldn’t quit. (2 days in and I was like a new person)
- Using Deep Blue Rub mixed with Copaiba EO on my sore legs from indoor cycling.
Hey guys! Now let me be the first to say I am an original backer of multitasking. You know that idea where you can be working on a million things at once and the belief that you get more done that way? Yes. I did actually believe that worked for a LONG time. Until more recently I have seen much evidence to the contrary–does working on many things simultaneously actually hinder your ability to complete tasks? I think my new answer is yes. If you can control your focus on one small task at a time, you actually get much more accomplished. Now once you start trying this, you might find that it’s more easily said than done. It can take some serious discipline to train your mind on one thing at a time, but in time, and with some help, it can be done and it can increase your productivity big time.
How can essential oils help with focus? Well, give me your undivided attention for a few minutes and I’ll give you the low down on 9 oils that can help you start focusing immediately!
According to scientists at doTERRA:
“Essential oils provide a great way to quickly alter your mood. In many cases, you can start to feel the calming, soothing, or uplifting effects of an essential oil from the moment that you open the bottle. Inhaling essential oils, applying them to the skin, or diffusing them in the air allows you to quickly alter your mood because the oil will generate an emotional response within the brain from the first sniff.”
Isn’t that amazing? The best part about doTERRA’s essential oils is that they’re safe (see more about their Certified Pure Theraputic Grade quality rating here) AND effective. Not to mention you can choose the scents you like best, since there are multiple oils that can help you achieve mental focus because of their versatility. Let’s jump right into some of the top oils for improving focus, mental clarity, maintaining concentration!
1. InTune – This wonderful doTERRA exclusive blend smells amazing and has been proven to enhance and sustain a sense of focus. By simply applying to the temples and the back of your neck, you may find your ability to pay attention and stay on task is increased! Since this blend comes in a handy dandy roller bottle, it’s pre-diluted with CPTG fractionated coconut oil so it’s ready to go directly onto skin and is easy to travel with if you’re someone who travels for work a lot or has to be in lots of meetings every day, this oil is for you.
2. Spearmint – Ok, so spearmint smells as fresh as they come– I feel squeaky clean any time I use this oil! Not only does spearmint freshen breath, but it also promotes a sense of focus and uplifts mood! Next time you’re needing fresher breath after lunch AND you want to avoid that mid-day post-nosh slump, try dabbing a drop of spearmint onto the roof of your mouth and taking a sip of water directly after. I think you will like the results!
3. Thyme – try Thyme in your diffuser for alertness – it pairs well with Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lavender and Lemon.
4. Basil – Not only is basil super fresh-smelling, it promotes mental alertness and lessens anxious feelings. Try adding this one to a diffuser blend with citrus oils in the morning to get you going or in the afternoon to keep you going.
5. Cardamom – This warm and spicy delightful oil is incredible when used in baking, but you can also diffuse it for increased mental clarity.
6. Douglas Fir – I really like using this one in my facial care routine, and as it turns out, you can use it to promote a positive mood and sense of focus. I knew I always felt happy after washing my face with it!
7. Frankincense – This king of oils is good for all sorts of things, but is especially good for focusing intentions during yoga–try it and let me know how your practice goes!
8. Peppermint –This multipurpose oil is also good for a whole slew of things, but because of the energy boost it provides, it’s perfect for study time. I also used it during childbirth because it helped me focus my energy on getting through contractions.
9. Rosemary – Rosemary is helpful for maintaining concentration, so use this one while working, studying or anytime you are faced with periods of prolonged focus.
What oils have you used for focus, alertness and mental clarity? What worked? Share below to be entered for a chance to win one of the oils mentioned above!
Your Sister In OIls,
Well ladies and gents, I just got WAY too excited over this DIY Natural Nail Polish Remover I put together! Have you ever tried to take nail polish off without nail polish remover? It’s typically pretty impossible, right? Not anymore! Keep reading to find out the super simple 2-ingredient recipe below.
Now I’ll be honest, I’ve tried a few methods using the same doterra Lemongrass Essential Oil but tonight I hit the jackpot. So keep reading this and at the very end I’ll post the recipe! I’m not going to bore any of you with the different ways I’ve put this remover together, but what I can tell you is they all worked I just happened to like this the best.
So let’s back track a sec here. A few years ago I started following this UH-MAZINGGG Beauty Movement called Beauty Lies Truth. You can and should totally check out their blog as you may find some of your “clean” products aren’t so clean after all at www.beautyliestruth.com. Yikes, right? Well anyways, I started reading the labels on everything I owned and legit freaked out. Now, I was in no position to just throw away everything, but I had to start somewhere. So I started researching with the help of above said blog and figured out where I wanted to start first. I started with makeup and facial cleansers/lotions. Within a month I had gone completely clean with those items and couldn’t have been happier. Really makeup isn’t the focus here so we can always save that for another day.
So how can we take off layers of nail polish without chemicals, you ask? I’m honestly thrilled you did: The answer is doterra Lemongrass Essential Oil! Exciting right? I can’t be the only one who might be amazed by this answer. So what I did was take a small ceramic dish and dropped in 8 drops of the Lemongrass EO. I then added a couple splashes of Witch Hazel so I could soak my fingernails. I set my fingernails in this dish for 30 seconds. I then dipped the cotton ball into the same mixture and just started rubbing like I would with regular nail polish remover. You will be amazed at how effective this works. What did I do next? My other hand! I couldn’t believe how safe and easy this was. So you have polish on your toes as well? No worries–just take another cotton ball to the same mixture, let it soak some of the liquid up and do the same. Without the soaking you might have to work just a midge harder to remove it all but it really wasn’t all that serious.
Until next time, friends! I hope you enjoyed this recipe, and please feel free to leave comments, questions and ideas below!
DIY Nail Polish Remover
When it comes to getting good, quality sleep, essential oils are the purest, most natural form of aid out there. There are so many essential oils that promote restfulness, but I’ll just focus on the main blend today that we use in our house. When you have a baby on the loose, the house is typically scattered with toys, books and random objects already, so it’s nice to just have a few items on the dresser next to the diffuser keeping it visually clutter-free (this is also one key to helping create a restful mind!) The oil I’ll discuss today is the Serenity (Restful Blend).
Serenity is the holy grail of sleep blends, and it is made by dōTERRA. Don’t let the word “blend” fool you–the ONLY thing that is in this mix are the world’s purest, CPTG© (Certified Pure Theraputic Grade) essential oils. Made from Lavender flower, Cedarwood, Ho Wood Leaf, Ylang Ylang flower, Marjoram leaf, Roman Chamomile flower, Vetiver root, Vanilla bean and Hawaiian Sandalwood, they have come up with a blend that not only smells divine (some people have told me it smells like chocolate to them!), it honestly makes you feel more relaxed the second you smell it, and there are several ways to reap the benefits of this blend.
AROMATICALLY::: Put 1-2 drops of the oil in your palm, rub your hands together and breathe in deeply for a few moments, letting your body take in all the benefits of these oils through the air. OR add 6-8 drops of the blend in your bedroom diffuser for nighttime sleep or in your children’s room for naps.
TOPICALLY::: Put 1-2 drops for adults on wrists, spine, bottoms of feet, or diluted in fractionated coconut oil for children. *Pro-tip: mix a drop of Serenity into your facial moisturizer at night and you will wake up to incredibly supple skin!
INTERNALLY::: Take either the Serenity softgels (dōTERRA makes it easy!) OR put 1-2 drops of the blend in an empty veggie cap and take with a full glass of water 1-2 hours before bedtime.
According to dōTERRA (and me), this blend calms the emotions while creating an overall sense of peace and well-being. No matter how much you are winning at life, we can all use a little of what Serenity has to offer at least once a day.
Another great thing about this blend from the perspective of a budget-conscious mama like myself is that it’s only $30 wholesale for a 15mL bottle (about 300 drops of oil). Considering you only use a couple drops at one time, that gives you between 37.5 to 150 individual applications/uses of this oil, depending on how liberally you are using it. Even for the most liberal of users, at this price, you’re still out less than a dollar every time you use this fantastic blend! A heck of a deal.
Have you tried Serenity Restful Blend? What are your favorite things about it or what other blends do you love for sleep? Let me know in the comments below! :]
Your Sister In Oils,
*These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Alright, you guys. We’re going big because we don’t want to go home. We are giving away a FREE doTERRA Petal Diffuser ($62 retail value) to the first person to enroll with us as a wholesale member with a kit. Click the SHOP tab above and follow the prompts to Join & Save. Contest going through end of day Friday, March 31st. Comment with questions–GOOD LUCK AND GODSPEED!
I don’t know about you, and I cannot speak for everyone BUT my hair has been through HELL the last 16 months. I would get my usual which is called a “bleach and tone”. If you’re not familiar it’s when the hair is pretty much bleached and toned every 4-6 weeks. Well there happened to be an incident which left my hair very damaged, and unable to come back from what had happened. I politely changed salons and immediately had to cut several inches off my hair. Now I know you don’t know me (just yet), but this crushed me. I get it-it’s just hair right? “It will grow back” they say! These are all things I know, but just didn’t want to hear.
In the last 12 months I have taken extra good care of my hair. I have been getting routine trims/cuts every 3-4 months and have only applied some basic color (at the advice of my colorist) to my hair twice. I did the whole root grow out which I absolutely fell in love with, but I’m ready to be close to platinum again! So this is where Essential Oils comes into play for me, and dōterra Geranium Oil to be exact. I’ve been looking into many different dōterra oils for the effects of improving hair quality. When I stumbled upon dōterra Geranium Essential Oil I just HAD to get my hands on it. Some of the benefits of the dōterra Geranium EO are various beautifying purposes, including promoting healthy, glowing skin and hair, while providing a sweet, floral aroma. The beauty side of this EO is really what grabbed my attention.