Hey guys! Now let me be the first to say I am an original backer of multitasking. You know that idea where you can be working on a million things at once and the belief that you get more done that way? Yes. I did actually believe that worked for a LONG time. Until more recently I have seen much evidence to the contrary–does working on many things simultaneously actually hinder your ability to complete tasks? I think my new answer is yes. If you can control your focus on one small task at a time, you actually get much more accomplished. Now once you start trying this, you might find that it’s more easily said than done. It can take some serious discipline to train your mind on one thing at a time, but in time, and with some help, it can be done and it can increase your productivity big time.
How can essential oils help with focus? Well, give me your undivided attention for a few minutes and I’ll give you the low down on 9 oils that can help you start focusing immediately!
According to scientists at doTERRA:
“Essential oils provide a great way to quickly alter your mood. In many cases, you can start to feel the calming, soothing, or uplifting effects of an essential oil from the moment that you open the bottle. Inhaling essential oils, applying them to the skin, or diffusing them in the air allows you to quickly alter your mood because the oil will generate an emotional response within the brain from the first sniff.”
Isn’t that amazing? The best part about doTERRA’s essential oils is that they’re safe (see more about their Certified Pure Theraputic Grade quality rating here) AND effective. Not to mention you can choose the scents you like best, since there are multiple oils that can help you achieve mental focus because of their versatility. Let’s jump right into some of the top oils for improving focus, mental clarity, maintaining concentration!
1. InTune – This wonderful doTERRA exclusive blend smells amazing and has been proven to enhance and sustain a sense of focus. By simply applying to the temples and the back of your neck, you may find your ability to pay attention and stay on task is increased! Since this blend comes in a handy dandy roller bottle, it’s pre-diluted with CPTG fractionated coconut oil so it’s ready to go directly onto skin and is easy to travel with if you’re someone who travels for work a lot or has to be in lots of meetings every day, this oil is for you.
2. Spearmint – Ok, so spearmint smells as fresh as they come– I feel squeaky clean any time I use this oil! Not only does spearmint freshen breath, but it also promotes a sense of focus and uplifts mood! Next time you’re needing fresher breath after lunch AND you want to avoid that mid-day post-nosh slump, try dabbing a drop of spearmint onto the roof of your mouth and taking a sip of water directly after. I think you will like the results!
3. Thyme – try Thyme in your diffuser for alertness – it pairs well with Bergamot, Grapefruit, Lavender and Lemon.
4. Basil – Not only is basil super fresh-smelling, it promotes mental alertness and lessens anxious feelings. Try adding this one to a diffuser blend with citrus oils in the morning to get you going or in the afternoon to keep you going.
5. Cardamom – This warm and spicy delightful oil is incredible when used in baking, but you can also diffuse it for increased mental clarity.
6. Douglas Fir – I really like using this one in my facial care routine, and as it turns out, you can use it to promote a positive mood and sense of focus. I knew I always felt happy after washing my face with it!
7. Frankincense – This king of oils is good for all sorts of things, but is especially good for focusing intentions during yoga–try it and let me know how your practice goes!
8. Peppermint –This multipurpose oil is also good for a whole slew of things, but because of the energy boost it provides, it’s perfect for study time. I also used it during childbirth because it helped me focus my energy on getting through contractions.
9. Rosemary – Rosemary is helpful for maintaining concentration, so use this one while working, studying or anytime you are faced with periods of prolonged focus.
What oils have you used for focus, alertness and mental clarity? What worked? Share below to be entered for a chance to win one of the oils mentioned above!
Your Sister In OIls,